Butyl Mastic Joint Sealant Brochure
Butyl Pipe Wrap is a synthetic rubber-based material extruded into a soft permanently elastic strip, available in a roll form. The tape possesses high levels of surface tack and performs at a wide range of temperatures.
- Excellent adhesion to a wide range of substrates found in a range of industries, including concrete and steel piping
- Effortlessly applied with no special equipment – mouldable by hand
- Compatible with common pipe coatings
- Endures extremes of heat and cold
- Excellent resistance to cathodic disbondment
- High water and vapour impermeability
- Provides long-term corrosion protection to steel pipelines
- Repair of damaged factory applied corrosion protection
- Outlining weld beads and cut backs prior to wrapping bare-welded joints
- Outlining seams on spiral and seam welded pipe
- Primerless mastic tape readily conformable to odd-shaped pipe fittings, valves, flanges and other buried structures
- Prepare surfaces by eradicating all loose scale, rust or other foreign matter by grit blasting or wire brush. The surface must be clean, dry and free of grease
- Peel back strip and apply tacky side of the tape to the surface and apply pressure
- Apply the tape spirally with sufficient tension to make it conform
- Remove interleaving as wrapping proceeds
- Overlap each turn by at least 1” or 55%
Note: when proper surface prep is not achievable or when applying to pitted pipe, apply a thin film of Butyl Pipe Primer to all surfaces to be wrapped and allow to dry. Over width silicone paper prevents product contamination during site handling and storage.
from +5ºC to +50ºC
from –30ºC to +60ºC
up to +70ºC
Should not be used in applications subject to excessive movements.